4 Types of Music Royalties

Royalties are the payments that go out to artists when their work is used. Learn more about mechanical, public performance, print, and sync royalties.

ASCAP Vs. BMI Licenses

BMI and ASCAP are the world's largest performance rights organizations. Learn how these nonprofits distribute royalties from users to copyright holders.

How Are Copyright Laws Enforced?

It's easy to unknowingly use a copyrighted work without proper permissions, or for financial gain. Learn the legal consequences of copyright infringement.

Licensing Music for Film

Licensing music for video and other types of visual media requires two things: the Master Use License and the Synchronization (Sync) license.

Poor Man's Copyright

The Poor Man’s Copyright is said to be an alternative to registering music. Learn the details about this myth, and how it applies to music licensing.

What is Stock Music?

Stock music, also known as production music is a broad term for music that’s made specifically to be licensed, generally in mass quantities. Either royalty-free music or not, stock catalogs contain thousands of tracks that can be licensed by subscription or single purchase. Stock music catalogs are owned by a company, either produced by hired artists or the company itself.

What is a Music License?

Learn the importance of music licenses, and why they matter to you. Licenses give artists a way to grant legal permission for their music to be used.

How to License Music

Learn how to license music for your projects, and why it matters. Musicbed offers On-Site licensing and can help guide you through Custom licensing as well.

What kind of licenses or clearances does Musicbed provide?

Musicbed grants a Synchronization/Master Use License. A Synchronization/Master Use License allows music to be used in timed relation to moving picture. A moving picture can be defined as a slideshow, video or a film.

How to Copyright a Song

Learn the process, benefits and misconceptions behind copyrighting music. Registering music is a simple process and provides additional artist protection.

Music Usage Rights

Learn about music licenses like Perpetual and Termed - and how you can pair them with usage rights like Single Use, Five Use and Unlimited Use here.

Types of Music Licenses

Know about the 6 types of music licenses available for the legal use of licensed music. You'll learn about anything from Sync licenses to the Public Performance license.

Do I get both the lyrical and instrumental versions of the songs I license?

We treat lyrical and instrumental tracks as separate songs requiring separate licenses. However, we do provide a bundled discount of 50% off the second version when both versions are purchased together for the same project.

Do I need to obtain a performance license from ASCAP, BMI or SESAC when using your music?

Normally, no. Typically it is the responsibility of Radio, TV, Cable station or other venue that will be broadcasting (performing) the piece. In some situations, however, these venues do not have a Performance Agreement with ASCAP, BMI or SESAC. In these instances the venue may require you to obtain a Performance License.

Once I license your music, how long is my license good for?

Licenses purchased from the Musicbed website are granted for a perpetual term. This means that the license never expires or loses legitimacy specific to the original project for which the license was granted. Should you desire to use a song licensed to you by Musicbed for another project, a separate license will be required. For custom licenses, the term will be up for negotiation between the client, the artist, and Musicbed.

Still have a question? We're here to help! Contact us